The critical care service at CARE is dedicated to providing comprehensive emergency medical and surgical care to pets when they need us most. Available around the clock, 365 days per year, the facility is equipped for the sophisticated life support and monitoring that is often required when diagnosing and managing life-threatening conditions and injuries. We offer an unsurpassed level of care that ensures your pet the best chance possible for survival and recovery.
Referrals to CARE’s Critical Care
Maybe your primary veterinarian referred your pet to CARE for advanced pain management, complex fluid or drug therapy. Or perhaps your pet is experiencing an acute or after-hours crisis or trauma that requires intensive care. In either case, our board-certified critical care veterinarian and well-trained staff are committed to giving your pet specialized medical care through a broad variety of clinical experience and training in veterinary ICU procedures, including:
- Breathing assistance through oxygen supplementation, respiratory support and mechanical ventilation for pets in respiratory distress or failure
- Nutritional support
- Treatments for acute, life-threatening disease and severe injury, including trauma assessment/stabilization and wound care
- Cardiopulmonary cerebral resuscitation (CPR)
- Advanced pain management and recovery monitoring from major surgery.
Common conditions treated by our critical care team include traumatic injury, congestive heart failure and severe cardiac rhythm disturbances, acute organ failure and other organ issues such as pancreatitis, complicated diabetes, neurological emergencies, severe infections including sepsis, blood clotting issues and toxicities.
CARE’s board-certified veterinarian and highly qualified critical care staff use an integrative approach to provide our sickest patients with exceptional care and to keep them as comfortable as possible. Furthermore, the whole team of CARE specialists is on hand to support these patients’ specific needs. And we always make communicating with your primary veterinarian a priority.
Our Cat ICU, which is unique in the Charlotte area, allows us to provide the best care for our feline patients while minimizing the stresses associated with hospitalization.>
Fear and anxiety are roadblocks to healing. Cats are especially sensitive to loud noises, the scent of other animals and high traffic in front of their cages. At CARE, our Cat ICU utilizes multiple techniques to minimize the stress of hospitalization including:
- A dedicated ward that houses cats only
- Sound-proofed walls to minimize external noise
- Feline pheromone diffusers and pheromone spray for cage bedding
- A specialized cage front that enables calm viewing
- Cage partitions to allow more space for larger cats or cats with a longer stay
- Matte finish cages to prevent glare and provide more warmth than stainless steel
- An abundance of natural light with a view of the outside and wildlife
CARE’s board-certified veterinary specialists and emergency department provide state-of-the-art diagnostics and treatments to get your feline companion home as soon as possible. When they do have to stay with us, we aim to make our patients’ stay as comfortable and stress-free as possible.
We know it is distressing to have a pet in crisis, so we care for your pets as we would care for our own.