Katie Lock, DVM, MS
Dr. Katie Lock, a member of the internal medicine team, decided to become a veterinarian as a child. “Growing up, we didn’t have many veterinary clinics around where we lived. When my childhood dog was hit by a car and we had nowhere to take her, it was then that I decided to go into veterinary medicine. I never wanted anyone else to feel the heartbreak that I had felt.”
Born in Birmingham, Alabama, Dr. Lock achieved her Bachelor of Science all the way up to her Residency in Small Animal Internal Medicine at Mississippi State University. Dr. Lock spent time in private practice before pursing her specialty training in internal medicine, with particular interest in hematology, immune-mediated diseases and infectious diseases.
In Internal Medicine, her primary goal is to provide the best care possible while striving to guide owners through difficult decisions to help give their pet the best quality of life possible.
- Bachelor of Science, Mississippi State University
- Masters of Science (Physiology), Thesis based, Mississippi State University
- Doctor of Veterinary Medicine, Mississippi State University, College of Veterinary Medicine
- Rotating Internship in Small Animal Internal Medicine and Surgery, Mississippi State University
- Internal Medicine and Oncology Internship, Mississippi State University
- Residency in Small Animal Internal Medicine, Mississippi State University
RESEARCH & AWARDS:
- Cooley-Lock K, Williams P, Williams M, et al. Assessment of erythrocyte damage and in-line pressure changes associated with simulated transfusion of canine blood through microaggregate filters. American Journal of Veterinary Research. Vol 80, No. 9, September 2019.
- Jaffey JA, Pavick M, Cooley-Lock K, et al. Effect of clinical signs, endocrinopathies, timing of surgery, hyperlipidemia, and hyperbilirubinemia on outcome in dogs with gallbladder mucocele. The Veterinary Journal. Vol 251, September 2019.
- Phi Zeta, Omega Chapter
- MSU Graduate Symposium, 2nd place oral presentation
- MSU softball 2003-2007
Tank, 10-year-old MN Shepherd mix and Nala, 4-year-old FS Lab mix